Monday, April 7, 2014

Shared Folders Issue on VirtualBox Ubuntu

I recently upgraded my VirtualBox Guest Editions to 4.3.10 and the shared mounts that I normally create stopped working. I was running this mount:

sudo mount -t vboxsf Dropbox /home/steve/Dropbox
And getting this error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /home/steve/Dropbox,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail  ...

After some research, it turns out that after the Guest Editions upgrade, the symlink for mount.vboxsf was broken. Here's what I ran to correct it:
cd /sbin
sudo rm mount.vboxsf
sudo ln /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/VBoxGuestAdditions/mount.vboxsf mount.vboxsf
This did the trick. Thanks to this post for the tip:

http://superuser.com/questions/736024/cannot-share-host-directory-with-virtualbox-guest-mint-16-64-bit

UPDATE: this may be fixed in the next Guest Editions release:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12879

1 comments:

Steve Carton said...

Addendum - After an update to the Guest Editions, I had to re-do this bit - installing GE seems to have invalidated the link.